Monday, October 24, 2005

Preschool Patience

I have 5 special needs preschool classes. Each class has several students, each with various abilities and disabilities. Every student in these classes is so unique I find it very hard to come up with a simple lesson that each can interpret to his or her own abiliy level. It can be very frustrating to try to meet the needs of every student without losing my mind. Today, as one of the assistant teaachers was exiting my classroom after a particularly loud and trying 30 minutes, she said to me, "You are so patient with them." This was so nice to hear. It was just a simple comment but at that moment I realized that someone noticed my effort.

2 Comments:

Blogger Handson said...

Have enjoyed your blogs and especailly related to the virtue of patience. I used to teach elementary art and like several of your blogs (now retired). I also used centers and with tiny room resorted to "mobile centers" using plastic see-through shoe boxes. They stacked, could hold all sorts of materials, which could be used, returned, etc. Liked your 6 at at a table idea too. More on mobile centers for anyone interested.
Handson

2:22 PM  
Blogger artroom goddess said...

Get Bev Boss's book "Don't Move the Muffin Tin". It is out of print, but you can still get it very cheap at Amazon.com. It is written for pre-school art activities, in an open, student centered environment. I think you may find wonderful curriculum for these wonderfully special children.
One of my college students introduced me to your blog. What an absolute pleasure! Debra Graham

9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home